.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, August 07, 2005

My first post and I'm already going to complain. Get used to it.
This was a marathon weekend of kids birthday parties. It's amazing how much energy a room full of 6 year olds can suck from you. It wasn't even my kids birthday, we were the attendee's. I used to really love social gatherings when I was younger...in university where I fit in. Now I am starting to find them incredibly tiresome in my old age (ha). I usually make a point of "helping out" with the women in the kitchen etc. Not because I enjoy working but because it's a hell of a lot easier to do that and keep busy than to sit there and try to make idle chit-chat with other women that you don't really know. The only thing I have in common with these people are that my kids are the same age and happen to go to the same school. Period.
I did get sucked into a conversation with one of the other attendee moms at one point.
Guh.
When I was in highschool my M.O. was to just keep my mouth shut. I didn't fit in and it was just easier to be non-existant rather than be irritating. In university I discovered my voice and confidence and made tons of like minded friends....or at least I think i did. I had a freedom that I dont have now. I felt likeI could say what I wanted, be how I wanted and the devil be damned. Now, I am back in social highschool hell. My son is in a small school with these other children. They are going into grade 1 so it's all at the begining. I need to try *really* hard *not* to *piss* people off. I do it so naturally that it really is a landmine of social faux pas for me. My natural inclination is to be sarcastic, and lemme tell you, thats frowned upon by the other stepford wives. It's truly a real expenditure of energy to temper myself.
Honestly though, I live in fear that I will piss off other moms and then they won't let their children play with my sweet boy. He is a really sweet boy and he doesn't deserve to have a social assasin as a mom. For his sake, I need to try really hard to be good.
Anyway...I think i succeeded for another day. Phew.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Locations of visitors to this page


<