.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 24, 2006

Boredom

Boredom. I think its a learned..whats the word im looking
for...talent? To be constructively bored? Ability?

I was talking to a mom the other day...and she gave me the oft heard
story of her nephew/friend/neighbours kid/*insert kid here*....where
the kid is a trouble maker in school, or a bad student or what have
you because they were "bored". Youve heard it right? In this case,
the mom got a call because her 9 yr old son didnt bother to finish a
test. He just sat there and didnt bother doing it. His answer?...it
was too easy and he was bored. Apparently he is a star when it comes
to math...but he is bored in his class and does diddly.
Ok.
I get that.
Fine.
The mom regaling this story to me seemed to think that i would cluck
my tongue and reply with some sort of commiseration in support of this
kids boredom....naturally, since my perspective is twisted i didnt lol.
Personally...i think that excuse is a crock of shit and parents in
general are doing their kids a great diservice. You all knew i would
say that didnt you lol. Seriously though....many kids these days fill
their time with ridiculous schedules of sporting events, clubs,
activities etc..which isnt bad in itself, but the overscheduling to me
is not good. IN addition, to go back to my other tirade on visual
media like tv and video games...kids are innundated with high action
stimulus constantly. Parents feel the pressure to entertain their
children when they are young, and continue to do so when they are
older. Kids dont know how to play alone anymore. Kids dont know how
to be bored. How many times have you heard the excuse of "boredom"
for delinquent behaviour? Its chronic. Back in "the day" (i sound a
million years old lol) kids were just bored and they were expected to
figure out what to do with their time without getting into major
trouble. Without car jacking, or robbing convenience stores, or
beating on some lesser kid, or what have you. Kids need to leard to
be bored constructively.
To continue my tirade here...all we are breeding are adults who dont
know how to be bored. I dont know about you, but my life isnt all
kicks and whistles....i get plenty bored at work. I get plenty bored
waiting at a doctors office, or waiting in traffic, or god knows doing
whatever mundane thing you have to do in life. Boredom is a part of
life. So this whole "im bored" thing in school to me....is crap.
IMO, if you are bored in school....then figure out how not to be. Do
what is required of you, since you would have to do that at a job
anyway....and ask for crap to do so that you arent bored.

Lets face it, being bored is a learned....whats the word im looking
for?? Art? Talent? Behaviour? Ability?

I think im done.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Locations of visitors to this page


<