.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, December 25, 2006


Santa Anxiety....

My daughter was looking for reassurance that she was on the "Good List" as she called it. At first I thought it was cute....she was discussing it with me and rationalizing that she was a good girl because she shared, listened well, had a nice dress (?), and surely she was on the "Good List". When I realized this, naturally I reassured her and let her know that there was no question in the world that she was absolutely, undeniably on the "Good List" with Santa. Both her and her brother are wonderful children.

I've been thinking though and reflecting on my own "Santa anxiety" that I had as a child. My grandmother and mother used the threat of Santa all the time. If I didn't comply with whatever they wanted at the time...then Santa wouldn't come. If I didn't eat my veggies, if I didn't go to bed on time, if I didn't share with my brother......I ran the inevitable certainty that Santa would not come to my house. It was awful. I have a friend that does the same to her kids...I hate listening to it. Sufficed to say, I DON'T do that to my kids. Ever.

Where did it come from then I wonder?? School? TV? Friends? Daycare? My mother? I have no idea but I don't like it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Locations of visitors to this page


<